Thursday, April 3, 2014

Standing On The Cliff, Debating To Jump. Part 1


I am going to open myself up to the world of online judgment. This blog post is about online dating and my internal war; to online date or not to online date. About a year ago, I had a stint  with online dating that was only a few months.  I was highly unsuccessful. (you're judging and I know it). Those damn commercials for Match.com and eHarmony are so amazing.  They show cute couples who end up together… Okay, yeah they probably paid them to be married and they only pick the beautiful ones. So I am here debating, after a year, should I try online dating again and take a risk, or should I continue on my merry way, hoping one day someone will cross my  path and change everything. Here is the moment where you would insert every cliche thing you know. “There is someone for everyone” , yeah ok, total bullshit I say to that. Or “when you stop looking you will find someone”.  I find that to be horse shit too, because if I am not looking, how can I find someone? I can’t find my car keys if I am not looking for them…… just saying 

Okay, so now that you have spent the last two minutes judging me for online dating, lets que to the  statistics.  More than 40% of people meet their partner online now days. You stand a 3x greater chance at meeting someone online vs not at all. Plus, 2/5 couples are from online dating. That appears to be pretty good odds….  Here's a nifty little table for you. 

Total eHarmony members15,500,000
Total Match.com members21,575,000
Average length of courtship for marriages that met online18.5 Months
Average length of courtship for marriages that met offline42 Months


Anyways now that you have some information, let's here my story.  Then you can help me decide if I should jump off the dating cliff or continue to stand at the ledge, hating every couple at the grocery store.  Wait, let's be honest. I pretty much hate all happy couples as of recently….. 

Anywho… back to me. I have been doing my own thing for a few years now and have not dated seriously other than that stint on a few dating sites that were not as successful as those commercials make it out to be. So, I have been contemplating.  Should I do this again?   Let me give you a little history about myself.  I have a career  and  I work for a local utility company, running a program for the entire company.  It's a big job for one person. I own my house and have 4 dogs, several chickens, and two horses. If that wasn’t enough, I work out 5 days a week at a cross fit gym and I am currently working on finishing my MBA. I don’t have a lot of time or motivation to go out to a bar.. Que statistics… only 9% of people ever meet someone in a bar… I blame the beer. All of the dudes at church are too young, too old, or the just right ones are married… Initiate old maid dance sequence here. So I have thought well, when the right person comes along, we will cross paths and bam it will all work out… JOKE'S ON ME! No one talks to you at the grocery store.  If I go horseback riding, it's with women.  I go dancing, it's mostly women and older couples, and any of my other hobbies are pretty much with women. This is where the great option of online dating comes in.  I have begun to research and troll the sites to see what kind of people are out there. I have found a good mix, then there are some scary ones. Jess and I actually troll the sites and take pix and send them to each other of the guys who are just well… I am not sure how they thought posting some of these pix are okay, i.e. a guy posted one of him peeing….. Needless to say, I am very skeptical to take this jump again into the online dating world. I won’t keep all of you readers busy with my ramblings… I need some food and a good girl text chat with Jess to discuss my recent findings of winners and I will be back for The cliff jumping action part two. 

I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post.  Can't wait for part two!  

We'll leave you with some wise words.

"Smart women love smart men more than smart men love smart women."

- Natalie Portman    

Soundtrack
  • Love A Little Stronger- Diamond Rio
  • You Lie- The Band Perry
  •  If I Didn't Have You- Thompson Square

No comments:

Post a Comment